Sunday 26 December 2010

Silencing the Sounded Self

A few months ago I found a book called 'Silencing the Sounded Self - John Cage and the American Experimental Tradition' by Christopher Shultis in a second hand Art bookshop in Malta. I bought it after skimming through a few pages because I thought it might be useful for my research. I started reading it this weekend. So far it has helped me see the difference between a Coexisting experimental artist, and a Controlling experimental artist - it also explains in detail what is meant by experimental artists (musical artists in the case of this book - but it can also apply to visual artists). Essentially something that has no goal; something open to the unintentional. The beautiful thing about it is that it encourages exploration of the unknown, and I think that having no precise goal and no tight restrictions will result in a much more organic and genuine project.

I have also come across an artist that I had not heard about before; Christian Boltanski. I haven't read a lot about him so far, but I am currently looking at some of his work on youtube.

No comments:

Post a Comment