Monday 7 November 2011

Experimentation with students

Today I did what you could call a "mini case study." I am currently working with BA Fine Arts students where they are encouraged to destruct and reconstruct their own style, and in the meantime work on a unit called "Prevent, Provoke, Parade". Since a large part of my research is about Chance and one of the students is writing her dissertation on Chance, I decided to give them a brief exercise on Chance and closure.

The Class is comprised of only three students, however since today one of them was sick I decided to contribute to the exercise. This is what we did; Each one of us created an impromptu painting/collage using acrylics, found magazines, newspapers, charcoals, pens, tape etc... I told them to think about a concept concerning "Prevent, Provoke, Parade" but to keep their ideas secret, so to not influence once another.

When the pieces of work were done, I told them to exchange it with someone else's. We 'destroyed' each other's work by cutting it up or tearing it. Once we had all the pieces, we exchanged these once again and threw them randomly onto a large piece of white paper. We taped them together exactly in the way they landed:

This was the result.
We then needed to test how the montage looked so I asked two other fine art students to comment about composition, colour, texture and perhaps significance. We got very positive results and a variety of theories regarding composition, negative space and the "illusion of three dimensionality". I have to admit I was scared that the final composition would look bad aesthetically and perhaps lack in composition and colour. This was not the case however, in fact I think applying Chance let the students work without fear that their work would look bad, because they knew it would be destroyed anyway - so they knew anything that looked bad could look good later, and of course vice versa.

So from this exercise I concluded that: Chance = great freedom and less restrictions in the work + a fresh result. I think I knew this already but wanted to try it out for myself and let my students experience it as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment