Tuesday 10 January 2012

water colours in 3d space

Yesterday and today I have been experimenting with After Effects and it has been a breath of fresh air to finally go back to "let just try this and see what happens". I find that I get a lot of interesting work done when I'm a) in a good mood, and b) without a care in the world. (This reminds me of the book Emotional Design which makes some valid points on being more creative when one is in a good mood).
Original Water colour
Multiple copies of the same layers using overlay transparency (+ spotlights and shadows)
Anyway, I'm still working with water colours but did some changes to make the process more fun. Rather than tracing each layer individually, I simply randomly selected batches of similar colours with the magic wand, cut and pasted them onto different layers. I distorted and animated these in After Effects, and then rotated them in 3D space. I then animated a camera around them. I tried various other experiments but unfortunately I worked on a large composition that is taking ages to render. 

Screenshot of rotating water colour in 3d space with no lights

No comments:

Post a Comment