Thursday 17 February 2011

Bernhard Gál

Sound Art Project 'stadtklaenge | klangstaetten', Allgemeiner Konsumverein, Braunschweig; May 7th - June 28th, 2009
Yesterday I was lucky enough to attend a short-notice guest lecture and performance by Australian sound artist Bernhard Gál. It was so much better than I had expected. He took us through this installations one by one and explained the difficulties he encountered. This made me realise how much work I need to put in the sound of my installation. I'm already asking some of my friends to make sounds to assist me with the creation of audio for the space. After yesterday I'm starting to think of not just WHAT sound to use but also WHERE and HOW. Where will the speakers be placed? Will the same sound come out of both speakers or can the audio waves clash together in some way?
Site-specific audio-architectural installation in collaboration with Yumi Kori. Minoritenkirche, Krems, Austria, April - June 2005

The above clip is a short video that I took yesterday during the presentation of 'Stadtklaenge' - quite bad quality actually but I was more interested on what he had to say rather than worried about getting it on video :) Performance at the end was nice and atmospheric with a few surprises here and there.

Besides the installations, what I really liked about his sounds is the way he plays around with voices and languages, mixes them together to create an intriguing audio piece.


No comments:

Post a Comment