Tuesday 19 October 2010

Franz Kline and the Cosmic Kitchen


Jack Kerouac(played by Vincent Balestri in 'Beat Angel') relates the wisdom of his friend, painter Franz Kline.


So after yesterday's weekly chat I was trying to think how I can narrow down my theme so it's much less vague. I'm now trying to see the space I want to create as kitchen where the user can 'cook' art and music and mix and match them together. The words 'Cosmic Kitchen' keep playing around in my head because it's not just your everyday kitchen but it's an audiovisual kitchen. 

All the mixing and matching of audio and visuals got me into collages and these two days I have been collecting various samples of material as well as magazine cutouts which I will try to assemble into interesting compositions to see where they will take me. 

I have also started researching some abstract expressionists and came across Franz Kline. I absolutely love his work because it is so minimal and yet so powerful. I'm not sure whether I could translate this kind of style into my own work but I am definitely a fan of how he mixed white and black to create grey/dirty areas.

"Yet Kline's art is anything but black and white. If his work is boisterous, it is also silent. If it is a celebration of unfettered movement, it is also a scar. If it is filled with suggestions of windows and doors, those windows and doors have often been boarded up or slammed shut. If his paintings are abstract and irreducible, they also seem like maps charting a lifetime of journeys through rural and urban America, popular and high culture, American and European art." NY Times

2 comments:

  1. Just stumbled across your blog.
    I really love that piece by Kline, i enjoy the dirty, scruffy effect.

    Anon.
    http://anonymousidiosyncrasy.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah I just saw this comment - yes it's a great piece :)

    ReplyDelete