Monday 22 August 2011

Research paper title, abstract, and some new screenshots

Some new screenshots from a recorded story:






The above pictures were recorded on webcam because the recorded story is about two individuals who spoke regularly online. I just wanted to capture a person chatting online in various different rooms, being as natural as possible - in fact this is my friend Andreas, so it was easy to get him to act natural because we were having a normal conversation online. I still need to film character number 2, but the first part went quite well.

Today I showed my title and abstract to my tutor. He made some minor changes in my title.

From:

Generating meaning in chance. How modular and database narrative structures (in time-based media) provide a more natural, yet engaging experience for today’s active audience.

To:

Generating meaning in chance. How modular and database narrative structures challenge traditional filmmaking techniques, allowing space for the unexpected.

[Changed: got rid of natural & engaging - both very subjective, so I'm glad to have eliminated them]

For now I will be using:

Generating meaning in chance. How modular and database narrative structures challenge traditional time-based media techniques, allowing space for the unexpected.


[Replaced filmmaking with time-based, because I want to include sound but not in a film-making context. This might be slightly unfocused - will have to see how the essay develops]

My current Abstract:


When the use of chance is employed in art and media, intention is bound to take a step back to make space for the unexpected. In essence, chance is lack of conscious design. Almost certainly, the author will have to give up a certain amount of control over his/her work, and leave it in the hands of natural or mechanical processes. The question is; why should authors sacrifice their creative expertise for something that might result in disorder, lack of aesthetic appeal, and failure? How does this come across to an audience, who to this day, is still presented with films that follow a formula that is more than two thousand years old?

No comments:

Post a Comment