Thursday 21 October 2010

Who is Lenore Jaffee?

For the past two days I have been researching beat artists, and have come across 'Lenore Jaffee'. Unfortunately I cannot seem to find any detailed information about her, except that in the late fifties she exhibited her paintings at the Phoenix Gallery on 10th Street in New York City. (www.beatmuseum.org) The article also states that she is a "...significant pioneer amongst American Women abstract painters". (click to view original mini-article)

Goddess, 1959 - Lenore Jaffee

2 comments:

  1. She was the sister-in-law of Al Jaffee (the Mad Magazine artist). She married his brother Harry Jaffee and they had a child named Marilyn. They eventually separated after Harry had a mental breakdown. There is a bit more information about her in "Al Jaffee's Mad Life" which just came out this year. (see pages 161-163). I'd love to know more about her and her work too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Marie, thank you so much for this information - I guess I'll be adding another book to my list

    ReplyDelete