Friday 6 January 2012

Catfish & Interface tests

Short film review:

Two days ago I watched the film 'Catfish' which is more of a documented story. It's about a photographer from New York city who is tricked into thinking he is exchanging messages with a dancer who in reality is a middle-aged woman. He tracks her down, together with two of his house mates who also happen to be filmmakers. The films is  as 'real' looking as you can get since it is in fact a real story. Most shots are over exposed, badly framed, too long and offer no real drama, and yet the film keeps you hooked until the end. There is no real good and evil within the plot; some climaxes but only to a certain extent. In general, I found this film extremely interesting and relevant, in the way it portrays betrayal in the online world, but rather than making a drama over it, it is solved in a very natural and human way and no technology overload, yet still providing a fantastic outcome.

source: Imdb
Today I carried out some interface tests. In the final application I wanted phrases to 'trick' the user, however I wasn't use how these would look with the films. Today I did my first test (the graphic designer in me made me choose the overused helvetica neue as a first trial) and I was not too pleased with the result.

I tried two options: 1. misleading phrases. 2. phrases from the stories. I will need to rethink how they will show up because at the moment they are looking VERY cheesy. I might just forget about the phrases completely and perhaps make the films / water colours themselves clickable. More brainstorming needed either way



*** a few minutes later ***

Just trying out another experiment where rather than phrases I have pixel-like rectangles that are always moving around the screen (perhaps even the films could move around) anyway... it would look something like this:
less obvious, more abstract




No comments:

Post a Comment