Wednesday 30 May 2012

Chat Reflective writing and interface updates

Yesterday during the chat, everyone had to critique my project and I got some really good feedback. I was glad that aesthetically the project seemed to be liked, although there was some confusion as to how it would work. This was expected since although I have explained it several times, it will only be 100% clear once I actually get it to work!

I have also received suggestions such as; using a chair to further immerse the audience and get them to stay for longer during the show and also using various monitors to display the interface. I'm thinking of how I can do both however it will be very difficult to use various monitors due to transport from Malta to London. I might also create a stand in Malta; made of planks of wood that can slide into each other, and paint it in London. This might make the monitor look better so it is enclosed in a minimal white space.

Later in the day, Maria, my developer came over and we were looking at different formats of how to export the videos and water colour. After endless tests, including uploading to youtube and downloading as .mp4 (since HTML5 only accepts ogg, mp4 and WebM) we found a good export and codec.

Maria, writing code


Basically we wanted a format that would be of a decent quality but also of minimum file size; basically not more than 50mb. The best solution was to put my original water colour, which was a 720HD, in a new PAL widescreen composition in After Effects. This was then exported as a Quicktime Movie, with an MPEG4 codec set to 70% quality. After this, it was converted using Miro converter, into an .mp4 file. HTML5 seemed to like this sort of file and the quality is quite good so we're using that.

At the moment I want to export all I have using this method so I can carry out a case study / focus group as soon as possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment