Sunday 8 May 2011

Stan Douglas

"Stan Douglas explores the nexus of the socially and commericially mediated, resulting in video and installation works that examine how cinematic and televisual space constructs meaning in the wider culture."

"Douglas's work reflects an archival, analytic, and creative process, as he expands the artist's territory from the studio to the research room to the production shoot. His disruption of standard modes of reception - be they in the classroom or in front of the television - challenges viewers to explore how meaning is constructed." (Moving Pictures, 2003)

Although I do not find the work of Stan Douglas particularly inspiring (perhaps because it feels dated) I think the context is very relevant to what I am doing - which is why I will be looking further into his work. I am still going through the book 'Moving Pictures' - I want to explore Nan Goldin next, but I want to go into more detail before blogging about her. I will just say that I love her photography, and although it might be too dramatic for me to get inspired from, there are definitely traits I will consider when filming.

No comments:

Post a Comment