Friday 29 July 2011

Inspirational Material & Animation

I'm just back from London, where I went mainly to attend the 'I'll be Your Mirror' ATP Festival curated by Portishead. I must say that even though this was meant to be a break for me, I couldn't help but be inspired by the visuals presented by the artists.

There was an installation by David Wilson which made used of old fashioned praxinosopes. I filmed a couple of them:

The praxinoscopes were actually used in a music video here:

Frame by frame seemed to be a popular medium. Portishead had 'The Rip''s frame by frame (although quite a low frame rate) playing in the background during the performance of the song.

On another note, Joan of Arc performed with 'The Passion of Joan of Arc - 1928' in the background. This kept everyone glued to the screen. Later on the festival booklet I read that the film consisted mainly of close-ups yet still managed to convey the story through the actors' excellent portrayal of emotion. The below video might not play correctly- click to go to the youtube link, there's the whole film on youtube in parts.

Finally, I have also been to two exhibitions - Miro at the Tate Modern, and Tracey Emin at Southbank. This is the first exhibition I have seen by Tracey Emin and I must say it truly leaves a mark of whoever views it. Her works are personal and raw. I found the video of her dancing to be very inspiring and natural. I haven't found it on youtube, so head to Southbank and watch 'Why I never became a dancer' (or something similar...)



As for Miro, I have seen his works before, however this time I was more intrigued by his drawings - the simple black on white pieces, rather than his usual primary coloured material.
As for my own work - I have been storyboarding, filming and animating. Here's my latest frame by frame experiment - which will be finalised after I finish the story's filming on Sunday (fingers crossed).
Some pictures of my storyboard sketchbook:
The growing list of stories

Red = storyboarded, a long way to go!

One of these is filmed, one will be filmed on monday


mixing animation with video - two complex stories


thinking about interaction

before I got my storyboarding sketchbook, I couldn't resist!

Storyboarded yesterday
And the research paper will be tackled on Monday - although I have made progress on the title :)


No comments:

Post a Comment